Hearty Ham Chowder
Deliciously satisfying, creamy ham chowder with onion, potatoes and broccoli.
2 cups water
2 medium (2 cups) potatoes, peeled and coarsely chopped
1/2 cup chopped onion
1 teaspoon dried basil, crushed
1 teaspoon instant chicken bouillon granules
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
3 cups fresh or frozen chopped broccoli, thawed
2 cups chopped fully cooked ham
2 cups light cream or half-and-half (light cream)
1 tablespoon butter
Freshly grated Wisconsin Parmesan cheese
- In a large saucepan, combine water, potatoes, onion, basil, chicken bouillon granules and pepper. Bring to a boil; reduce heat. Cover and simmer for 15 minutes, or until potatoes are tender.
- Remove mixture from heat. Do not drain. Using a potato masher or fork, mash potatoes in saucepan.
- Stir in broccoli; return to boiling. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 8 to 10 minutes, or until broccoli is just tender.
- Stir in chopped ham, light cream or half-and-half, and butter. Cook and stir until heated through.
- To serve, ladle into soup bowls. Sprinkle each serving with Parmesan cheese.
Makes 4 servings.
Recipe provided courtesy of Wisconsin Milk Marketing Board, Inc.