Idaho® Potato and Chipotle Soup
Chipotle chiles add a subtle smoky flavor to this Latino version of creamy potato soup served topped with a garnish of colorful, fresh bell pepper salsa and crispy shoestring potatoes. Recipe by renowned chef Anthony Lamas of the Seviche in Louisville, Kentucky.
Crispy Shoestring Potatoes:
2 medium unpeeled Idaho® potatoes,
Peanut oil for deep-frying, as needed
Kosher salt, to taste
2 pounds Idaho® potatoes, peeled and quartered (or 4 cups mashed Idaho® potatoes)
1 medium Spanish onion, roughly chopped
1 tablespoon minced garlic
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 ounces canned chipotle chiles with adobo sauce
4 cups chicken stock or water
1 cup heavy cream
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon ground coriander
1 cup grated smoked Cheddar cheese, plus additional for garnish
Kosher salt, to taste
White pepper, to taste
Bell Pepper Salsa:
1/2 red bell pepper, seeded and diced
1/2 yellow bell pepper, seeded and diced
1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
1 tablespoon chopped red onion
- For the Crispy Shoestring Potatoes: Using a mandolin, cut potatoes into shoestrings. Pat dry.
- Deep-fry in 350°F (175°C) peanut oil until crisp, 1 1/2 to 2 minutes.
- Drain; set on paper towel. Sprinkle with salt; reserve.
- For the Soup: In a large pan of salted water, cook potatoes in 140°F (60°C) water for 20 minutes, then bring to a boil until potatoes are soft. Drain.
- In a sauté pan over high heat, sauté onions and garlic in olive oil for 1 minute; add chipotle chiles and adobo sauce; lower heat to medium; continue cooking until onions are soft and translucent, 2 to 4 minutes.
- Combine potatoes, stock or water, cream, cumin and coriander in large saucepan. Bring to gentle boil. Reduce heat to low; simmer 10 minutes. Turn off heat; let cool about 5 minutes.
- Purée with immersion blender until smooth, gradually adding cheese. Season to taste with kosher salt and white pepper.
- For the Bell Pepper Salsa: In small bowl, mix together bell peppers, cilantro and onion. Squeeze lime over; mix in juice. Season to taste with salt.
- To Serve: Garnish each bowl of soup with 1 to 2 tablespoons Bell Pepper Salsa, 1 tablespoon cheese and 1/4 cup Crispy Shoestring Potatoes.
Makes 6 servings.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of the Idaho Potato Commission.