Search for recipes throughout
the entire site or select one of the recipe collections from
the drop-down menu on the search tool below:
A hearty, clove-scented Irish vegetable
and oatmeal soup topped with a dollop of whipped unsweetened
Irish Oatmeal Soup
- 4 tablespoons butter or margarine
1 cup diced potatoes
1/2 cup sliced onions
1 cup sliced mushrooms
1 pound fresh spinach
4 cups chicken stock or broth
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1/2 cup Irish oatmeal (steel cut oats)
Salt and pepper to taste
Unsweetened whipped cream for accompaniment
- In a skillet or pan, melt the butter over
a low heat. Add diced potatoes, mushrooms and sliced onions and
cook until soft.
- Wash spinach. Remove stalks and tough
stems and chop finely.
- Transfer carrots and onions, mushrooms
and spinach to a saucepan and add the stock, salt and pepper
to taste, cloves and diced potatoes. Stir in the Irish oatmeal
and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Puree soup with a hand-held blender or
in small batches in a conventional blender or food processor.
- To serve, ladle soup in bowls and top
with a small dollop of whipped cream.
Makes 4 servings.