This tummy-warming soup is ready in minutes. Sprinkle croutons or toasted bread pieces on top for garnish.
1 1/4 pound leeks
1/4 cup butter
1/4 pound onion, chopped
1 celery rib, chopped
10 cups chicken broth
1/2 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 cup heavy cream
- Clean leeks and coarsely chop. Reserve a small amount of the green for garnish.
- Melt butter and cook chopped onion, chopped celery rib, and the leeks until soft but not brown.
- Add chicken broth and bring to a boil. Simmer for 1 hour, skimming if necessary.
- Process in a food processor or blender until smooth.
- Reheat the soup, stir in chopped parsley, the reserved leeks, salt, pepper and cream.
Makes 8 servings.