Lemongrass Broth Catfish with Sticky Rice
Recipe provided courtesy of The Catfish Institute.
4 U.S. Farm-Raised Catfish fillets
Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
1 cup canola oil
2 cups sticky rice (also known as sweet rice or glutinous rice) cooked with shiitake mushrooms
1/3 cup green onions, slivered
2 cups Lemongrass Broth
1 teaspoon canola oil
1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon shallots, chopped
2 teaspoons fresh ginger, minced
1 teaspoon garlic, minced
1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon white wine vinegar
1 to 2 lemongrass stalks, minced
2 cups chicken broth
1 teaspoon fish sauce
- For Catfish: Lay catfish on sheet pan and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Heat oil in non-stick pan and sear fillets flesh side down until golden. Remove from heat but keep warm.
- Mold sticky rice in a prepared 1/2-cup timbale. Unmold onto sheet pan and top each timbale with a catfish fillet, golden-side up.
- Roast catfish and rice mounds in a 400°F (205°C) oven 10 to 12 minutes or until fish flakes.
- For Broth: While catfish and rice mound is roasting, gradually heat oil in a soup pot. Add shallots and ginger and cook 2 to 3 minutes over medium heat. Add garlic and vinegar. Cook until vinegar is almost evaporated. Add lemongrass and chicken broth and bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer 8 to 10 minutes.
- Strain broth and discard solids. Add favorite fish sauce and heat.
- For each serving, place a catfish and rice mound in a soup bowl. Ladle 1/2 cup lemongrass broth, sprinkle with green onions and serve.
Makes 4 servings.
Recipe and photograph provided courtesy of The Catfish Institute.