A flavorful and nutritious lentil soup with bacon, onion, celery, carrots, garlic, potatoes, leeks and smoked sausage in a tomato-beef broth.
1 1/2 cups lentils
5 strips of bacon
1 cup chopped onion
1 cup chopped celery
1 cup diced carrot
1 teaspoon minced garlic
2 cups peeled and diced potatoes
1/2 cup tomato sauce
2 bay leaves
6 cups water
4 cups beef broth
1 tablespoon salt
1/8 teaspoon white pepper
2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
2 cups thinly sliced smoked sausage
1 cup thinly sliced leek
- Cover lentils with water and allow to soak overnight. Drain.
- In a large kettle cook strips of bacon until crisp.
- Add onion, celery, carrots, and garlic. Add the lentils, potatoes, tomato sauce, bay leaves, water, beef broth, salt, and white pepper. Simmer, covered, for 1 1/2 hours.
- Add red wine vinegar, sausage and leeks. Cook for 10 minutes.
- Remove the bay leaves before serving.
Makes 8 servings.