Mexican Beef Stew
Recipe courtesy of The Beef Checkoff.
3 pounds beef for stew, cut into 1-inch pieces
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1 cup beef broth
1 cup prepared thick and chunky salsa
2 medium zucchini, halved, sliced 3/4-inch thick
1 (15-ounce) can black beans, rinsed, drained
1/2 cup frozen corn
2 tablespoons cornstarch dissolved in 3 tablespoons water
Optional Toppings: chopped tomato, chopped fresh cilantro, dairy sour cream
- Heat oil in Dutch oven over medium heat until hot.
- Brown beef in batches; pour off drippings. Return beef to pan; season with garlic powder and salt.
- Stir in broth and salsa; bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat; cover tightly and simmer 1 1/2 hours.
- Stir in zucchini, beans and corn; continue cooking, covered, 15 to 20 minutes or until beef is fork-tender.
- Stir in cornstarch mixture; cook and stir 1 minute, or until thickened.
- Serve with desired toppings.
Makes 6 servings.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of The Beef Checkoff.