This traditional Italian vegetable, bean and pasta soup will satisfy the hungriest appetites.
1 (15-ounce) can dark or light red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
1 cup cabbage, chopped
3 stalks celery, sliced
1 carrot, sliced
1/2 pound green string beans, cut into 1/2 inch lengths, or canned green beans, drained
1 potato, diced
1 (16-ounce) can tomatoes, undrained and chopped
8 cups vegetable stock
1/2 cup elbow macaroni or other small pasta
1/4 teaspoon each salt and pepper
1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper
1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- In a large stockpot, over medium heat, heat olive oil and sauté onion and garlic until soft. Do not brown.
- Add cabbage, celery, carrot, string beans, and potato and cook for 2 minutes, stirring often.
- Add tomatoes and stock and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 30 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Add beans and pasta. Cook for 10 minutes or until pasta is slightly chewy.
- Season with salt and peppers.
- Serve hot with a spoonful of Parmesan cheese over each serving.
Makes 12 servings.
Recipe provided courtesy The Michigan Bean Commission.