Nantucket Scallop Chowder
This recipe for Nantucket Scallop Chowder is compliments of Redi-Base, 'The Professional Soup Base For The Home Cook'.
2 russet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
8 slices thick-cut smoked bacon, chopped
1 medium onion, chopped
1 3/4 teaspoons dried thyme
4 cups water
4 teaspoons Seafood Redi-Base
1/2 cup dry white wine
1/2 cup whipping cream
2 tablespoons butter
1 pound bay scallops
Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Cook potatoes separate in water until done. Drain and set aside.
- Sauté bacon in heavy large saucepan over medium heat until crisp, about 6 minutes. Using slotted spoon, transfer bacon to paper towels and drain well. Set aside.
- Drain all but 2 teaspoons bacon fat from saucepan. Add onions and thyme to same saucepan and sauté over medium-high heat until onions are light golden, about 10 minutes. Add water and Redi-Base, wine and the cooked potatoes. Bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer 2 minutes. Add the cream and half of reserved bacon. Remove from heat.
- Melt butter in skillet. Add scallops and sauté until light golden, about 2 minutes. Add scallops to chowder. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Serve garnished with remaining bacon.
Makes 6 servings.
Recipe used with permission by the Redi-Base Soup & Sauce Company; www.redibase.com.