A savory Irish soup, made with oats, onion, carrots, garlic, butter, parsley and chicken broth.
1 cup water
Pinch of salt
1 cup quick or old fashioned oats - divided use
1 medium onion, finely chopped
2 large carrots, shredded
1 to 2 cloves garlic, minced
4 tablespoons butter - divided use
6 cups chicken broth
1 cup cooked oatmeal
1 tablespoon dried parsley flakes
Salt and ground black pepper, to taste
- Bring water and salt to boil in a small saucepan; add 1/2 cup oats and cook for 1 minute if using quick oats, or 5 minutes if using old fashioned oats, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat, cover and let stand 1 to 5 minutes depending on type of oats used. Set aside.
- In large skillet or saucepan, cook onion, carrots and garlic in 2 tablespoons butter over medium-low heat, stirring often, 5 minutes or until onion is tender.
- Add remaining 1/2 cup uncooked oats and remaining 2 tablespoons butter. Cook, stirring often, 3 minutes or until oats are golden brown.
- Stir in broth; bring to a low boil.
- Stir in cooked oatmeal and parsley, stirring until well mixed. Cook over medium heat for 5 minutes.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Makes 4 servings.