Oriental Meatball Soup
A hearty, Asian-style meatball soup with pea pods, onion, carrots, bean sprouts and fresh cilantro.
1 pound ground turkey
3/4 cup quick or old fashioned oats
2 tablespoons soy sauce
1 tablespoon dry sherry (optional)
2 teaspoons sesame oil
1 1/2 teaspoons minced fresh ginger or 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1/4 cup chicken broth
2 (14.5-ounce) cans chicken broth
1 cup water
1 1/2 cups halved pea pods or 1 (6-ounce) package frozen pea pods, thawed, cut in half
1 medium onion, halved and thinly sliced
2 to 3 carrots, thinly sliced
2 cups bean sprouts
2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro (also known as Chinese parsley)
2 green onions, thinly sliced
Salt and ground black pepper to taste
- In large bowl, combine meatball ingredients; mix lightly but thoroughly.
- Shape into 1-inch meatballs; place on a greased rack of broiler pan.
- Broil 6 to 8-inches from heat 7 to 10 minutes or until cooked through.
- In 4-quart saucepan or Dutch oven, combine meatballs with chicken broth and water; bring to a boil over high heat.
- Add onion, pea pods and carrot; cook 1 to 2 minutes or until vegetables are crisp-tender.
- Turn off heat; add bean sprouts, cilantro and green onion. Serve immediately.
Makes 4 servings.