A delicious creamy oyster stew with onion and mushrooms created by Chef Mark Weber.
1/2 cup unsalted butter
1 leek, diced
1 onion, diced
1 pound mushrooms, diced
1/2 cup dry white wine
1 pint shucked oysters, liquor reserved
1 pint whipping cream
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 cup half-and-half (light cream)
Salt and ground black pepper to taste
2 tablespoons chopped flat-leaf parsley
- Melt butter in sauce pan. Add leek and onions. Cook over low heat until transparent.
- Add mushrooms. Increase heat to medium-high and cook mushrooms for five minutes.
- Add white wine; cook for three minutes.
- Add reserved oyster liquor, whipping, thyme, oregano and cayenne pepper; simmer for five minutes.
- Add oysters; bring to simmer.
- Add half-and-half (light cream); bring to simmer.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper. Add parsley. Serve immediately.
Makes 8 servings.
Recipe and photograph provided courtesy of Wisconsin Milk Marketing Board, Inc.