Pistou Soup with Split Peas
This terrific recipe for Pistou Soup with Split Peas was submitted by Deb K.
1 pound large leeks
2 tablespoon olive oil
1 cup chopped carrots
1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper (cayenne)
2 medium thin-skinned potatoes, peeled diced
2/3 cup green split peas, rinsed and drained
1 1/2 quarts vegetable broth
1 1/2 quarts water
Pistou (recipe follows)
1 cup frozen green beans
2/3 cup 2-inch pieces dry spaghetti
Grated Parmesan cheese (optional)
- Cut off and discard root ends of leeks. Trim tops, leaving about 3 inches of green leaves. Discard coarse outer leaves. Split leaks in half lengthwise and rinse well. Thinly slice.
- Heat oil in a 6 to 8 quart pan over medium heat. Stir in leeks, carrots, and ground red pepper. Cook, stirring often, until leeks are soft but not browned (6-8 minutes).
- Stir in potatoes, split peas, broth, and water. Bring to boil; reduce heat, cover, and simmer until peas are tender to bite (about one hour) Meanwhile, make Pistou.
- Stir in beans, spaghetti, and Pistou into soup. Increase heat to medium-high and boil gently, uncovered, until spaghetti is just tender to bite, (8 to 10 minutes).
- Serve with cheese to taste, if desired.
Makes 6 to 8 servings.
For Pistou: Combine 4 cloves garlic, pressed, 1 (6-ounce) can tomato paste, 3/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese, 1/4 cup minced parsley, 1 1/2 tablespoons dry basil; and 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil. Stir well.