Red Sunset Clam Chowder
Recipe courtesy of Florida Agriculture Bureau of Seafood and Aquaculture.
1 1/2 dozen littleneck Florida clams, rinsed well
2 bacon slices, cut into 1/2-inch squares
1/3 cup Florida onion, chopped
3 tablespoons diced green bell pepper
3 tablespoons diced celery
2/3 cup peeled and diced Florida potato
1 (8-ounce) bottle clam juice
1 cup canned, diced tomatoes, with juice
2 tablespoons fresh Florida parsley, chopped
Salt and ground black pepper to taste
- Cook bacon in a 3-quart heavy saucepan over medium heat until golden.
- Add onion, bell pepper, and celery and cook until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in potato, clam juice, and tomatoes; cover and simmer 10 minutes.
- Add clams; cover and simmer 8 to 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until clams open. Discard any clams not open after 10 minutes.
- Move pan off heat. Remove clams with tongs reserving a few clams in the shell for garnish.
- Detach clam meat from remaining shells and return meat to chowder. Stir in parsley, salt and pepper to taste.
Makes 4 servings.
Note: The chowder (without the clams and parsley) can be made 1 day ahead. Bring chowder to a simmer then add clams and proceed as directed.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/4 of recipe): Calories: 308; Calories From Fat: 99; Total Fat: 11g; Saturated Fat: 3g; Cholesterol: 90mg; Total Carbs: 19g; Protein: 33g.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of Florida Agriculture Bureau of Seafood and Aquaculture.