Royal Cheese Soup
Smooth and creamy mashed potato and cheddar cheese soup seasoned with minced onion, paprika and Worcestershire sauce.
1 chicken or vegetable bouillon cube (or 1 teaspoon granules or soup base)
1 1/3 cups reserved potato water
2/3 cup boiled and mashed potatoes
2 1/2 tablespoons butter
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
2 cups milk
2 teaspoons minced onion
2 2/3 cups (10 ounces) shredded Wisconsin Medium Cheddar cheese
1 teaspoon salt
1/3 teaspoon paprika
1/3 teaspoon ground black pepper
2/3 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
Chopped flat-leaf parsley
- Dissolve bouillon in simmering potato water. Blend in mashed potatoes.
- Melt butter in a saucepan and stir in flour until dissolved. Slowly add milk; heat until slightly thickened.
- Add onion and cheese; stir until cheese is melted.
- Blend cheese sauce into potato mixture; add seasonings.
- Serve hot, garnished with chopped parsley.
Makes 8 servings.
Recipe provided courtesy of Wisconsin Milk Marketing Board, Inc.