Russian Vegetarian Borscht
You won't miss the beef in this hearty, rich and flavorful vegetarian version of Russian borscht.
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 tablespoon butter
1 onion, chopped
3 medium size carrots, peeled and sliced
1 small parsnip, cut into thin 2-inch strips
3 medium size beets, cut into thin 2-inch strips
2 large garlic cloves, finely minced
1 bay leaf
1 tablespoon granulated sugar
6 cups vegetable broth
1 small cabbage, cut into 2-inch chunks
3 medium size potatoes, peeled and diced into 1/2-inch pieces
1/4 cup tomato purée
Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
1/4 cup Balsamic or red wine vinegar
Sour cream for accompaniment
- In a Dutch oven, heat oil and butter over medium heat and sauté onion, carrots, parsnip and beets until onion is translucent.
- Stir in the garlic, bay leaf and sugar and cook for 30 seconds. Add broth, cabbage, potatoes and tomato purée, salt and pepper.
- Simmer, covered until vegetables are tender, about 20 to 30 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in vinegar.
- Cool to room temperature and refrigerate overnight.
- To serve: Ladle cold soup into bowls and place a dollop of sour cream on top.
Makes 6 servings.
Tip: This soup is also delicious served warm.