Scandinavian Chicken Soup
Scandinavian-style chicken soup with potatoes and onions seasoned with dillweed, and served garnished with chopped red onion and a sprinkling of dillweed.
1 (3 1/2 to 4-pound) whole stewing chicken
6 cups chicken broth
1 pound potato, peeled and diced
1 cup chopped white or yellow onion
1 teaspoon dillweed
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/2 cup chopped red onion
1/2 teaspoon dillweed
- Cook chicken in chicken broth in a covered kettle until done. Cool, debone, and chop into pieces.
- Strain the cooking liquid and return chicken broth to a boil over high heat.
- Add diced potatoes, onion, and dillweed. After the soup returns to a boil, reduce the temperature and simmer the potatoes until tender, about 12 minutes.
- Add the chicken, salt, and pepper; simmer about 5 minutes.
- Sprinkle with chopped red onions and dillweed just before serving.
Makes 6 servings.