A delicious hearty seafood and mushroom chowder with green peas and two types of cheese, cheddar and Monterey Jack.
1 (16-ounce) package frozen haddock, sole or cod fillets, thawed
1 pound medium shrimp or 1 (12-ounce) package frozen, shelled and deveined shrimp, thawed and drained
1/2 cup butter
1 1/2 pounds fresh mushrooms, washed, drained and sliced
1/4 cup finely chopped green onions
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
3 cups half-and-half (light cream)
2 cups milk
1 (6-ounce) package frozen crabmeat, thawed
1 (10-ounce) package frozen peas, thawed
1/4 cup dry sherry
1 cup shredded Wisconsin Sharp Cheddar cheese
1 cup shredded Wisconsin Monterey Jack cheese
2 (4-ounce) jars pimento, drained and sliced
- Cut fish fillets into 1-inch pieces. If using fresh shrimp, shell and devein; set aside.
- In 4 quart saucepan, over medium-high heat, melt 3 tablespoons butter. Add mushrooms and green onions; cook until tender, stirring occasionally. Remove mushrooms and onions; set aside.
- In the same saucepan, melt 4 more tablespoons butter. Stir in flour, salt and pepper; cook 1 minute. Slowly stir in half-and-half and milk until mixture is smooth.
- Add fish, shrimp, mushroom mixture, crabmeat, peas and sherry. Cook, stirring frequently, until fish flakes and shrimp are tender.
- Gradually stir in shredded cheeses and pimento. Cook over medium-low heat until cheese is melted and well blended.
- Serve hot.
Makes 8 to 10 servings.
Recipe provided courtesy of Wisconsin Milk Marketing Board, Inc.