Sharp Cheddar Cheese Soup
A creamy, quick and easy cheese soup using smooth sharp cheddar cold pack cheese.
2 tablespoons butter
1/2 cup chopped onion
1/4 cup each diced carrot and celery
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
2 cups milk
1 (14.5-ounce) can chicken broth
2 cups (8 ounces) Wisconsin Sharp Cheddar Cold Pack cheese
1 teaspoon crushed red pepper
Chopped flat-leaf parsley for garnish
- In saucepan melt butter. Add onion, carrot and celery; cook until tender.
- Stir in flour; cook and stir 2 to 3 minutes until bubbly.
- Stir in soda. Gradually stir in milk and broth. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer, stirring, until mixture thickens slightly, 10 to 15 minutes.
- Add cheese and red pepper; stir just until melted and well blended.
- Garnish individual servings with parsley.
Makes 6 servings.
Recipe provided courtesy of Wisconsin Milk Marketing Board, Inc.