Slow Cooker Farmer's Market Idaho® Potato Stew
Recipe courtesy of the Idaho Potato Commission.
2 cups chopped onions
2 cups chopped red bell peppers
4 pounds Idaho® potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
1 cup chopped zucchini
1 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
1 cup water
1/4 cup fat free milk
2 teaspoons cornstarch
1 (7-ounce) package reduced fat shredded Mexican-style four cheese blend (about 1 3/4 cups) - divided use
1/4 cup butter
2 teaspoons salt or to taste
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Coat a 6-quart slow cooker with cooking spray. Add potatoes, zucchini and thyme.
- Coat a large nonstick skillet with cooking spray, place over medium high heat until hot. Add the onions, coat with cooking spray; cook 4 minutes or until translucent, stirring frequently. Add the bell peppers to the onions in the skillet, coat with cooking spray, cook 4 minutes or until onions are brown on edges, stirring frequently.
- Pour the water into the skillet and stir until well blended and beginning to boil. Pour onion mixture evenly over the potatoes. Do not stir. Cover and cook on HIGH setting 3 1/2 hour or until potatoes are tender when pierced with a fork.
- Combine the milk and cornstarch in a small bowl; stir until cornstarch is completely dissolved. Gently stir into the potato mixture with 1 cup of the cheese, the butter, salt and pepper. Cover and cook on HIGH setting 10 minutes to thicken slightly.
- Sprinkle with the remaining 3/4 cup cheese and serve.
Makes 14 servings.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/14 of recipe; 3/4 cup): Calories: 160; Total Fat: 5g; Saturated Fat: 2g; Cholesterol: 15mg; Total Carbs: 22g; Fiber: 3g; Protein: 8g; Sodium: 470mg.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of the Idaho Potato Commission.