Smokey Apple and Butternut Squash Soup
Recipe courtesy of the U.S. Apple Association.
1 tablespoon butter
1 tablespoon olive oil
3 large onions, finely chopped (about 4 1/2 cups)
1 teaspoon chipotle chili powder
2 pounds butternut squash, peeled and cut into chunks (about 6 cups)
1 pound sweet apples, peeled and cut into chunks (about 3 1/2 cups)
1 cup apple juice (more if necessary)
1 cup chicken broth
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Heat oil and butter in large saucepan; add onions and chili powder. Cook and stir until onions are tender, about 10 minutes.
- Add squash, apples, apple juice, chicken broth, salt and pepper; bring to boil.
- Cover and cook on low heat until apples and squash are very soft, about 30 minutes. Cool.
- Purée with an immersion blender or a food processor; return to saucepan and reheat. Add additional apple juice or broth, if needed for desired consistency.
- Serve garnished with toasted pecans, sour cream swirls and thin apple slices, if desired.
Makes 7 servings.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of the U.S. Apple Association.