Smoky California Avocado, Shrimp and White Bean Gazpacho
Recipe courtesy of California Avocado Commission.
2 3/4 pounds tomatoes
1 1/2 cups diced, peeled, and seeded cucumber*
1/2 cup diced red onion
2 small shallots
1 1/2 cups canned tomato juice
1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
2 1/2 tablespoons sherry wine vinegar
1 tablespoon finely chopped chipotle pepper in adobo sauce, or to taste
1 cup cooked rock shrimp, very coarsely chopped
3/4 cup cooked cannellini beans
1 California avocado, cut in small dice (about 8 ounces)
2 teaspoons salt, or to taste
Tortilla chips, as needed for garnish
Chopped fresh cilantro, as needed for garnish
- Peel tomatoes by dipping them in boiling water for about 30 seconds; slip skins off.
- Cut tomatoes in half horizontally.
- Over a bowl lined with a sieve, seed tomatoes, catching and reserving juice.
- Cut each tomato half in two.
- In a food processor, in batches if necessary, purée tomato, cucumber, red onion, and shallot.
- Stir in reserved fresh tomato juice, canned juice, olive oil, vinegar, and chipotle peppers.
- Stir in shrimp, beans, avocado, and salt.
- Chill at least 3 hours to marry flavors.
- Serve chilled, but not icy.
Makes 6 servings.
*For hot house cucumbers, it is not necessary to peel cucumbers.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/6 of recipe): Calories: 320; Total Fat: 20g; Cholesterol: 75mg; Protein: 12g; Sodium: 980mg.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of California Avocado Commission.