Spicy Italian Ski Team Soup
Take the winter chill off a fun day of skiing with this hearty Italian-style vegetable, bean and pasta soup.
1/2 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup chopped green pepper
1 teaspoon minced garlic
1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon crushed red peppers
1 to 2 teaspoons olive oil
1 (13.75-ounce) can reduced-sodium beef broth
1 1/2 cups water
1 (15-ounce) can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
1 (14.5-ounce) can Italian-style stewed tomatoes, undrained
1/2 of a 16-ounce package frozen Italian vegetables
1 teaspoon dried basil leaves
3/4 cup (3 ounces) small pasta shells
1 cup loosely packed salad spinach
Salt and ground black pepper, to taste
- Sauté onion, pepper, garlic, and red pepper in oil in large saucepan until tender, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Stir in beef broth, water, beans, tomatoes, Italian vegetables, and basil; heat to boiling.
- Add pasta and simmer, uncovered, until vegetables and pasta are tender, about 10 minutes.
- Stir spinach into soup; simmer 1 to 2 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Makes 6 servings (about 1 1/4 cups each).
- Frozen chopped onion and green pepper, and prepared garlic can be used.
- Soup can be prepared 1 to 2 days in advance; refrigerate, covered.
- A teaspoon of prepared pesto sauce can be stirred into each bowl of soup.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/6 of recipe): Calories 784; Fat 2g; % Calories from Fat 7; Carbohydrate 35g; Folate 76mcg; Sodium 482mg; Protein 9g; Dietary Fiber 6g; Cholesterol 0mg.
Recipe provided courtesy of The Bean Education & Awareness Network.