Sweet Pepper Bisque
This recipe makes two soups. The red pepper and green pepper soups are poured together in serving bowls for a festive presentation.
4 red peppers, core and seeds discarded, cut into thin strips
4 green peppers, core and seeds discarded, cut into thin strips
2 tablespoons butter
2 small yellow onions, thinly sliced
4 tablespoons white rice
4 tablespoons cognac (optional)
6 cups chicken stock or canned broth
1 cup heavy whipping cream
Salt and ground black pepper to taste
Cayenne pepper to taste
Sour cream or crème fraîche for garnish
- In two large saucepans, melt 1 tablespoon butter each and sauté one onion in each until translucent, about 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Add 2 tablespoons rice to each saucepan and cook 5 minutes more. Add 2 tablespoons cognac to each and cook 5 minutes more (optional).
- Add 3 cups chicken broth to each saucepan and bring the soups to a boil, then reduce to simmer and cook for 20 minutes.
- Add 1/2 cup whipping cream to each soup and simmer for an additional 20 minutes. Be sure heat is not too hot when adding the cream.
- Remove the soups from heat. Transfer one of the soups to a blender or food processor and purée. (Caution! Hot liquids create steam which will blow the top off the blender! Be sure to securely hold blender lid down!). Season with salt, pepper, and cayenne pepper. Repeat processing with other soup in cleaned food processor.
- To serve, place soup mixtures in lipped containers for easy pouring. Have one soup in each hand or find a kitchen partner! Pour each soup from opposite sides of the soup bowl, be sure to pour evenly, so you get a 1/2 red and 1/2 green bowl. Garnish each bowl with a dollop of sour cream or crème fraîche for garnish. Add extra cracked pepper on top.
Makes 4 to 6 servings.