Sweet Potato Soup
Some spring days forecast rainy and cool weather. This is a good tonic for that.
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 medium onions, chopped
2 medium carrots, peeled and diced
1 large celery stalk, diced
1/2 cup celery leaves, chopped
6 cups sweet potatoes, peeled and diced
2 bay leaves
1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1 cup milk
Salt and ground black pepper to taste
- Heat the oil in a soup pot and add the onion, carrots, and celery.
Sauté over low heat until the onions are translucent.
- Add the celery leaves and sweet potatoes. Add just enough water to
cover all but about an inch of the vegetables. Bring mixture to a
simmer and stir in the bay leaves, thyme, nutmeg, salt, and pepper.
- Simmer, covered, until the potatoes and vegetables are tender.
- With a slotted spoon, remove half of the solid ingredients and
transfer them to a food processor with about 1/2 cup of the cooking
liquid. Purée and return to the pot.
- Add the milk until you achieve the consistency you desire. Simmer for
another 15 minutes.
Makes 6 to 8 servings.