Swiss Cheese and Shrimp-En-Croute
An elegant cream of shrimp and Swiss cheese soup topped with puff pastry sprinkled with asiago cheese and pine nuts.
4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) unsalted butter
2 shallots, chopped
1 cup all-purpose flour
3/4 cup Gewürztraminer wine
6 cups chicken stock
1 pound extra-large (16 to 20 count) shrimp, peeled and deveined
6 cups (1 1/2 pounds) shredded baby Swiss cheese
Salt and freshly ground white pepper
6 (6-inch) disks puff pastry (about 1 1/2 pounds)
1 egg, beaten
3 ounces grated Asiago cheese
1 cup pine nuts
- Preheat the oven to 400°F (205°C).
- In large pot over medium heat, melt the butter. Sauté the shallots.
- Stir in the flour, and add the wine. Simmer for 5 minutes to reduce. Stir.
- Add the chicken stock and cook 3 minutes longer.
- Whisk in the Swiss cheese. Add the salt and pepper. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- Brush the pastry disks with beaten egg. Top the disks with Asiago cheese and pine nuts.
- Pour the soup into six 5 1/2-inch oven-safe bowls.
- Brush the rim of the bowls with egg.
- Place the pastry disks on top of the bowls. Press the rim to seal.
- Bake for 15 minutes until the pastry is golden brown.
Makes 6 servings.
Recipe and photograph provided courtesy of Wisconsin Milk Marketing Board, Inc.