Vegetable and Cheese Chowder
Warm up with a mug of this easy cheddar chowder loaded with mixed veggies.
1/4 cup butter
1 cup sliced celery
1/2 cup chopped onion
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
2 cups milk
2 cups water
1 (16-ounce) package frozen mixed vegetables or 1 (16-ounce) can mixed vegetables, drained
1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- In 4-quart saucepan or Dutch oven, melt butter over medium heat; add celery and onion and cook celery and onion until tender, about 5 minutes or until tender.
- Stir in flour and cook and stir for 1 minute.
- Gradually add milk and water; continue cooking over medium heat, stirring constantly, until thickened.
- Reduce heat; add mixed vegetables, mustard, salt and pepper. Continue cooking over low heat 10 minutes or until heated through, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from heat; add cheese, stirring until well blended.
Makes 6 (1 cup) servings.