A hot and hearty cream of leek and potato
soup with bacon.
Welsh Leek and Potato
- 4 medium boiling potatoes
- 2 slices bacon
2 garlic clove, minced
1 medium onion, chopped fine
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
4 medium leeks (white parts only), halved lengthwise, sliced
thin crosswise, and washed well
5 cups chicken broth
1/3 cup heavy cream
2 tablespoons snipped flat-leafed parsley
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to
- Peel potatoes and dice into 1/2-inch cubes.
- In a 3 1/2 to 4-quart saucepan fry bacon
in butter until golden crisp; add garlic and onion and cook over
medium-low heat, stirring, until onion is tender. Add potato
and leeks and cook, stirring occasionally, 2 minutes. Stir in
broth and simmer, uncovered, 15 minutes, or until potato is very
- If desired, in a blender purée
soup in batches until smooth (Caution! Hot liquids create steam
which will blow the top off the blender!
Be sure to securely hold blender lid down!), and transfer to
- Stir in cream, parsley, and season with
salt and pepper to taste and heat over medium heat, stirring
occasionally, until hot.
Makes 4 to 5 servings.