Wild Rice and Mushroom Soup
An elegant cream of wild rice and button mushroom soup seasoned with fresh rosemary.
2 cups water
1/2 cup wild rice, uncooked, rinsed in cold water, drained
1 1/2 cup butter
1 1/2 cup onion, diced
8 ounces fresh button mushrooms, sliced
2 teaspoons fresh rosemary, stemmed, minced or 3/4 teaspoon dried rosemary, crumbled
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
8 cups chicken broth
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 cup whipping cream
2 tablespoons sherry or dry white wine
- Place water in medium saucepan. Add wild rice and bring to boil over medium heat. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for about 45 minutes. Do not drain; set aside.
- Melt butter in 5 quart Dutch oven or kettle over medium heat. Add onion and mushrooms. Sauté about 3 minutes, until vegetables soften.
- Add rosemary.
- Add flour gradually to mushroom mixture, cooking and stirring frequently over medium-high heat, until mixture boils.
- Add chicken broth; bring to a boil. Boil 1 minute.
- Stir in reserved wild rice and any remaining liquid, salt and black pepper.
- Stir in whipping cream and sherry; do not let boil.
- Serve immediately.
Makes 12 servings.