Zesty Chicken Tortilla Soup
This satisfying, warming bowl of chicken soup is as tasty as it is quick and easy to put together. A great choice for a meal on a busy day — or after a day of play in the snow.
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
2 cups sweet onions, diced
1 teaspoon garlic, minced
2 cups zucchini chunks (2 zucchini)
2 cups frozen corn kernels or 1 (15.25-ounce) can, drained
1 (15-ounce) can diced reduced-sodium tomatoes
1 quart (4 cups) reduced-sodium chicken broth
2 cups cooked and shredded PERDUE® OVEN READY Whole Seasoned Roaster
2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro (leaves only)
Hot pepper sauce to taste (optional)
1 lime sliced into 4 wedges for accompaniment
4 tablespoons shredded cheddar or Monterey Jack cheese for garnish
Sour cream for accompaniment
Tortilla chips or strips for garnish
- In a heavy soup pot, heat oil over medium-high heat; add onions and sauté 3 to 4 minutes or until golden. Add garlic along with zucchini and corn; cook 3-4 minutes, stirring often. Stir in tomatoes and broth and bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer soup 15 minutes.
- Add shredded chicken and cilantro and heat through. Add hot red pepper sauce to taste.
- Ladle soup into bowls, squeeze juice of 1 lime wedge, top with a dollop of sour cream and garnish each with 1 tablespoon shredded cheese and several baked tortilla chips or strips, as desired.
Makes 4 servings.
- Frozen diced green bell pepper or frozen yellow squash can be substituted for zucchini chunks (or included).
- Soup can also be topped with a dollop of Greek yogurt instead of cheese or sour cream to save on extra fat and calories.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/4 of recipe; does not include suggested accompaniments): Calories 170; Total Fat 8g; Saturated Fat 2.5g; Trans Fat 0g; Cholesterol 25mg; Sodium 550mg; Total Carbohydrate 17g; Dietary Fiber 2g; Sugars 5g; Protein 9g.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of Perdue Farms.