Orange Chili Roasted Turkey
A delicious blend of orange, chili powder and garlic is injected into the turkey before roasting.
16 pound Honeysuckle White® Frozen Whole Turkey
2 1/2 cups orange juice, pulp free (pulp clogs the injector)
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup broth
3 teaspoons chili powder
3 teaspoons garlic salt
Salt to taste
Coarsely ground black pepper
- Remove giblets and neck from turkey. Rinse turkey with cold running water and drain well. Blot dry with paper towels inside and out.
- Preheat oven to 325°F (160°C).
- In saucepan, reduce orange juice down to 1 cup.
- Melt butter in broth with chili powder and garlic salt. Mix in reduced orange juice. Cool slightly.
- Place turkey, breast side up, on a rack in a large shallow (about 2 1/2-inches deep) roasting pan. Use an injector to inject the mixture into the turkey, especially in the meaty parts of the breast and thighs.
- Sprinkle inside and out with salt and pepper.
- Roast turkey in a pre-heated 325°F (160°C) oven. Loosely cover with aluminum foil to prevent over browning, remove foil during last hour and a half of cooking time. Continue to roast until thermometer registers 180°F (approximately 80°C) in the thigh, or 170°F (approximately 75°C) in the breast.
Makes 16 servings.
Recipe provided courtesy of Honeysuckle White, a division of Cargill, Incorporated. Used with permission.