Pumpkin Turkey Bake
A fun harvest supper idea. A hallowed out pumpkin is filled with sautéed cubes of turkey, veggies and spices and microwaved until pumpkin is tender.
1 (4 1/2 to 5 pound ) pumpkin
2 pounds turkey cutlets, cubed
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 cup onion, chopped
3/4 cup celery, thinly sliced
1/2 cup green pepper, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
1 (8-ounce) package frozen sugar snap peas
2 tablespoons packed brown sugar
1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper
1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Cut top off of pumpkin, remove and set aside. With a spoon, scoop out seeds and discard.
- Cover pumpkin with plastic wrap and turn upside-down in a microwave safe dish. Microwave on HIGH for 3 minutes.
- Turn pumpkin right side-up and microwave on HIGH for 3 more minutes. Set pumpkin aside.
- In skillet, sauté turkey in oil until lightly browned; remove from skillet and set aside.
- Add onion, celery, green pepper, and garlic to skillet. Sauté for 2 minutes. Add peas and cook an additional minute. Stir in brown sugar, crushed red pepper, cinnamon, and turkey.
- Spoon turkey mixture into pumpkin. Place top back on pumpkin and return to microwave safe dish.
- Microwave on HIGH for 10 minutes, or until pumpkin is tender.
- Allow pumpkin to stand for 5 minutes before serving.
Makes 12 servings.
Recipe provided courtesy of Shady Brook Farms, a division of Cargill, Incorporated. Used with permission.