Roasting a whole turkey doesn't get much simpler than this.
1 (approximately 20-pound) whole turkey, neck and giblets removed, rinsed and patted dry
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
Salt, ground black pepper and garlic powder to taste
1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
1 turkey-sized oven roasting bag
1 large onion, thickly sliced
2 celery ribs, sliced
- Preheat oven to 325°F (160°C).
- Rub turkey all over the outside with the oil; sprinkle inside and out with salt, pepper and garlic powder.
- Place the flour in the oven roasting bag and shake to coat; add sliced onion and celery ribs and carefully place the turkey on top.
- Place bagged turkey into a shallow, 2-inch deep, roasting pan. Seal the bag closed and make six small slits in the top of the bag.
- Roast for 4 to 5 hours or until the meat thermometer registers 180°F (85°C). Juices should run clear and the legs should move easily when twisted or lifted.
- Let stand 15 to 20 minutes before carving.
Makes 12 servings.
Recipe and photograph provided courtesy of the National Turkey Federation.