Turkey with Sausage-Pecan Stuffing
Grace your holiday table with the traditional whole roasted turkey, complete with a savory sausage and pecan stuffing studded with sweet golden raisins.
2 medium onions, chopped
1 pound bulk pork sausage
2 (6-ounce) packages herb stuffing mix
1 (15-ounce) package golden raisins
1 cup pecan halves
6 celery ribs, chopped
1/4 teaspoon poultry seasoning
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
2 1/2 cups chicken broth
1 (12 to 14 pound) turkey, cleaned inside and out, and dried thoroughly
2 medium onions, thickly sliced
Additional salt and pepper
- For Sausage-Pecan Stuffing: In a large skillet, brown sausage together with chopped onion. Drain drippings. Add herb packet from the stuffing mix. Stir in raisins, pecans, celery and the seasonings; simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add stuffing mixes and broth; mix well. Cook and stir for about 5 minutes.
- For Turkey: Season turkey inside and out with salt and pepper. Place sliced onions inside turkey. Add 6 to 7 cups stuffing. (Place remaining stuffing in a greased 1 1/2-quart baking dish; cover and refrigerate.) Skewer openings; tie drumsticks together. Place on a rack in roasting pan.
- Bake, uncovered, at 325°F (160°C) for 4 to 4 1/2 hours or until a meat thermometer reads 180°F (approximately 85°C), basting often with the butter. When the turkey begins to brown, baste if needed and cover lightly with aluminum foil. Allow turkey to stand for 15 minutes before carving.
- Meanwhile, bake reserved stuffing, covered, for 1 hour; uncover and bake 10 minutes more.
Makes 12 to 14 servings.
Recipe and photograph provided courtesy of the National Turkey Federation.