Turkey Pot Pie
Tasty turkey pot pie with an easy 'bread crust' topping—comfort food your family will love! A great recipe for using leftover turkey.
2 large eggs
1/3 cup milk
16 slices French bread, 1/4 inch thick slices (baguette)
1 cup chicken broth or stock
1/4 cup sour cream
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped
1 1/2 teaspoons fresh thyme, chopped or 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1 teaspoon vegetable oil
1 cup frozen pearl onions, thawed
1/2 pound mushrooms, trimmed and quartered (preferably cremini)
1/4 cup dry white wine
2 cups cooked and diced Honeysuckle White Turkey
1 cup frozen peas, thawed
Salt and pepper optional to taste
- Preheat oven to 400°F (205°C).
- In a wide shallow bowl, whisk together eggs and milk until well combined. Add bread slices to the egg mixture, turning to coat them. Set aside while you make the filling, gently turning the slices once for even soaking.
- In a small bowl, whisk together chicken broth, sour cream, flour, parsley, thyme, and mustard until smooth; reserve.
- Heat oil in a large heavy skillet over medium-high heat. Add onions and cook, stirring, until well browned, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Add 1/2 cup of water and cook until the water has evaporated, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add mushrooms and sauté until the mushrooms are just tender, about 3 minutes more.
- Add wine and cook about 1 minute. Reduce heat to low and whisk in the reserved chicken stock mixture; bring to a simmer and cook, stirring, until thickened, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in the turkey and peas. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Transfer the mixture to an 8-inch square glass baking dish. Arrange the soaked bread slices on top of the filling.
- Bake for 20 to 30 minutes, or until the filling bubbles and the bread is golden brown.
Makes 8 servings.
Recipe provided courtesy of Honeysuckle White, a division of Cargill, Incorporated. Used with permission.