Turkey Pot Pie with Cornmeal Crust
Tasty pot pie filled with cooked turkey, two types of diced potato, onion and peas in a creamy sauce topped with a cornmeal crust.
1 large sweet potato, diced
1 baking potato, diced
2 onions, thinly sliced
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1/4 cup sour cream
1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons all purpose flour
4 cups broth, turkey or chicken
3/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 teaspoon ground white pepper
1 cup loose-pack frozen peas
1 1/4 cups all purpose flour
1 1/4 cups cornmeal
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon granulated sugar
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
1 cup milk (plus 1 tablespoon)
1/4 ounce apple sauce, unsweetened
- Combine first two ingredients in a steamer. Cover, reduce heat, and steam until vegetables are almost tender. Set aside.
- Sauté onion in oil in a 3-quart non-stick sauté pan over medium heat, stirring constantly, until tender. Reduce heat to low. Add the sour cream, 1/2 cup of the broth, and 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons flour; cook, stirring constantly for 1 minute. Gradually add rest of the broth; cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture is thickened and bubbly. Stir in 3/4 teaspoon salt and white pepper. Remove from heat, and set aside.
- Spray a 4 quart baking dish with cooking spray and sprinkle one-half of turkey in the bottom. Combine reserved vegetables and peas with the onion gravy; ladle one-half of vegetable/gravy mixture over turkey. Repeat layers, and set aside.
- To Make the Crust: Combine flour, cornmeal, baking powder, salt, and sugar in a large bowl; stir well. Combine egg, milk, and applesauce; add to dry ingredients, stirring just until dry ingredients are moistened. Carefully spoon and spread batter over turkey mixture, making sure that the batter doesn't blend too much with the pie mixture.
- Bake, uncovered, in a preheated oven at 425°F (220°C). for 35 to 40 minutes or until lightly browned and thoroughly heated. Depending on your oven, you may need to cover the crust in the last 10 minutes, to avoid burning the edges.
Makes 12 servings.
Recipe provided courtesy of Honeysuckle White, a division of Cargill, Incorporated. Used with permission.