Turkey with Molé Sauce
Flavorful and juicy baked turkey, seasoned with cilantro, lime and Mexican spices, served with a rich molé sauce.
1 1/4 teaspoons salt - divided use
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon crushed dried oregano leaves - divided use
1/2 teaspoon ground red pepper
1/4 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
1 (14-pound) Butterball® Whole Turkey, thawed if frozen
1/2 cup packed fresh cilantro
4 limes, halved
Non-stick cooking spray
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 cup chopped onions
3 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 teaspoon ground ancho chile pepper
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 (15-ounce) can tomato sauce
1 (4-ounce) can diced green chilies, drained
1/2 cup water
1 tablespoon brown sugar, packed
1 tablespoon creamy peanut butter
1/2 ounce unsweetened chocolate, cut into small pieces
- Preheat oven to 325°F (160°C).
- Mix 1 teaspoon of the salt, garlic powder, 1/2 teaspoon of the oregano, red pepper and black pepper. Set aside.
- Remove neck and giblets from body and neck cavities of turkey. Refrigerate for another use or discard.
- Drain juices from turkey. Dry turkey with paper towels. Turn wings back to hold neck skin against back of turkey.
- Place turkey, breast up, on flat roasting rack in shallow roasting pan. Place cilantro and limes in body cavity. Spray turkey evenly with cooking spray. Sprinkle with seasoning mixture.
- Bake 3 to 3 1/2 hours, or until meat thermometer reaches 180°F (82.2°C) when inserted deep in thigh. Cover breast and top of drumsticks with aluminum foil after 2 hours to prevent overcooking of the breast.
- Let turkey stand 15 minutes before carving. Remove and discard cilantro and limes.
- Meanwhile make molé sauce, heat oil in large saucepan on medium heat. Add onions and garlic. Cook and stir 5 minutes, or until onions are tender. Stir in chili pepper, cinnamon, remaining 1/2 teaspoon oregano and ancho chili pepper. Cook and stir 1 minute.
- Place in blender container. Add tomato sauce and green chilies; cover. Blend until smooth.
- Pour back into same saucepan. Stir in water, remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt, brown sugar, peanut butter and chocolate. Bring to boil on medium-high heat, stirring frequently. Reduce heat to medium-low; simmer 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Serve molé sauce over sliced turkey.
Makes 14 servings.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of Butterball, LLC.