Search for recipes throughout
the entire site or select one of the recipe collections from
the drop-down menu on the search tool below:
Osso buco is classic Italian comfort food,
an oven-braised dish of fork-tender veal shanks with a gremolata
topping, traditionally accompanied with creamy risotto.
- 6 veal shanks
1/2 cup all purpose flour
4 tablespoons butter
1/4 cup olive oil
Freshly ground pepper
1 large onion, chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 1 celery stalk, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 1 cup white wine
- 1 cup each chicken and beef stock or broth
- 2 bay leaves
- Gremolata Topping (recipe follows)
- Preheat oven to 300°F (150°C).
- Dredge veal shanks in flour and saute
in a mixture of butter and oil in large, heavy frying pan. Season
with salt and pepper and transfer to three-quart casserole.
- In the pan drippings, saute onion, carrots,
celery and garlic for about six minutes or until softened but
- Add wine and reduce until it almost evaporates.
Add stocks and simmer for five minutes. Season with salt and
pepper and pour mixture evenly over meat in casserole. Add bay
leaves, one at each side of the casserole.
- Cover and bake on middle rack of oven
for 1 1/2 hours. Five minutes before end of baking time, add
the Gremolata topping.
Makes 6 servings.
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon peel
- 1 tablespoon grated orange peel
- 1 teaspoon finely minced garlic
- 4 to 6 anchovies, minced (optional)
- Combine all ingredients together in small
bowl and sprinkle on top of the Osso buco.
Rate and submit your comments
about this recipe below.