This recipe for Veal and Mushroom Marsala was created by Sue-Sue Hartstern of Louisville, Kentucky.
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
6 veal cutlets (about 2 1/4 pounds)
1/4 cup olive oil
1/2 pound fresh mushrooms, sliced
2/3 cup chopped green onions
2 tablespoons olive oil
6 medium tomatoes, peeled, seeded, and chopped
6 fresh basil leaves, chopped, or 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
1 1/2 cups Marsala wine
1/3 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
1/3 cup chopped fresh Italian (flat-leaf) parsley
- Combine first 3 ingredients; dredge veal in flour mixture.
- Heat 1/4 cup oil in a heavy skillet over medium heat. Add veal, and cook about 3 minutes on each side; drain on paper towels.
- Add mushrooms to skillet; sauté until tender, and remove from skillet.
- Sauté green onions in 2 tablespoons oil in skillet. Stir in tomatoes and basil; cook 4 to 5 minutes or until most of liquid evaporates. Add wine, and simmer about 8 minutes.
- Return veal and mushrooms to skillet, and cook until thoroughly heated. Sprinkle Parmesan cheese and parsley over individual servings, if desired.
Makes 6 servings.