A classic Italian dish featuring Parmesan-breaded and sautéed veal cutlets baked in a seasoned tomato sauce and topped with Parmesan cheese.
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 small onion, thinly sliced and separated into rings
1/2 cup chopped green pepper
2 garlic cloves, finely minced
1 (15-ounce) can tomato sauce
2 tablespoons dry white wine
3/4 teaspoon dried basil leaves
1/2 teaspoon granulated sugar
1/4 teaspoon fennel seed
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 cup seasoned dry bread crumbs
3/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese, divided
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
2 large eggs
1 pound veal cutlets, pounded 1/4-inch thick
Vegetable oil for frying
- For sauce, heat 2 tablespoons oil in medium saucepan. Add onion, green pepper and garlic. Sauté over medium heat until tender. Stir in tomato sauce, wine, basil, sugar, fennel, salt and 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper. Heat to boiling. Reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes, or until sauce is thickened.
- Mix bread crumbs, 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese and 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper in shallow dish.
- Beat eggs slightly in another shallow dish.
- Dip veal into eggs, then in bread crumb mixture to coat.
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C).
- Heat 1/4-inch oil in large skillet. Add veal. Fry over medium heat, 3 to 4 minutes, or until golden brown, turning over once. Drain on paper towels.
- Arrange cutlets in 13x9x2-inch baking pan. Pour sauce over veal. Sprinkle with remaining 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until cheese melts.
Makes 4 servings.