Veal and Pork Country Bake
A savory, bacon-wrapped ground veal and pork loaf served chilled.
4 ounces mushrooms, chopped
1 onion, chopped
1 garlic clove, minced
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1/4 cup sherry
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon thyme
1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
8 ounces ground pork
8 ounces veal, finely chopped
2 ounces ground beef
1/4 cup chopped pistachio nuts
1 large egg
2 tablespoons flat-leaf parsley
8 ounces sliced bacon
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C).
- Sauté chopped mushrooms, chopped onion, and minced garlic clove in oil in a skillet over medium heat until tender; do not brown. Add sherry, salt, pepper, thyme. and nutmeg. Simmer for 5 minutes.
- Combine with ground pork, finely chopped veal, and ground beef, chopped pistachio nuts, egg, and parsley in a bowl; mix well. Line the bottom and sides of a loaf pan with sliced bacon, overlapping slightly. Pack the meat into the pan.
- Bake for 1 1/4 hours. Cover with aluminum-foil covered cardboard, cut to fit snugly, and weight the top. Refrigerate overnight.
- Dip the pan in hot water and loosen from the side. Invert onto a serving plate, scrape off the excess fat.
Makes 8 servings.