Veal Italiana over Spaghetti Squash
Count on your family asking for this tasty dish again and again. Your kids will love the uniqueness of the spaghetti squash and you'll love the healthier nutrition it provides without the added calories of pasta!
1 1/2 pounds veal for stew, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
1 tablespoon butter - divided use
1 tablespoon olive oil - divided use
1/2 teaspoon salt - divided use
1 cup chopped red onion
3/4 cup chopped green bell pepper
1/2 cup chopped cremini mushrooms
1/4 cup finely chopped prosciutto
2 tablespoons dry white wine (optional)
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 (14.5-ounce) can Italian-style diced tomatoes, undrained
1/2 cup vegetable broth
2 tablespoons chopped fresh oregano
2 tablespoons tomato paste
3 bay leaves
1 spaghetti squash, cut lengthwise in half (about 2 1/2 pounds)
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese - divided use
- Heat 1 teaspoon oil in large, heavy skillet over medium heat until hot. Brown half of veal; remove from skillet. Repeat with remaining veal. Season with 1/4 teaspoon salt.
- Add onion and bell pepper to skillet; cook and stir over medium-high heat 3 to 5 minutes or until tender, stirring frequently. Add mushrooms, prosciutto, wine, if desired, and garlic; cook 1 to 3 minutes or until mushrooms start to brown, stirring occasionally.
- Return veal to skillet. Stir in tomatoes, broth, oregano, tomato paste and bay leaves; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover tightly and simmer 30 to 45 minutes or until veal is fork-tender.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 400°F. Line large baking sheet with aluminum foil. Scoop out and discard seeds from each squash half. Rub remaining 2 teaspoons oil over cut surfaces of squash; season with remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt and ground black pepper. Place squash, cut-sides down, on prepared baking sheet. Roast in 400°F oven 45 to 50 minutes or until squash is tender and starts to brown.
- Scrape squash flesh into strands with fork; place in large bowl. Add 2 tablespoons cheese; toss.
- Divide squash among 4 pasta bowls. Remove and discard bay leaves from veal mixture; ladle evenly over squash. Sprinkle with remaining 2 tablespoons cheese.
Makes 6 servings.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/6 of recipe): 406 calories; 16 g fat (5 g saturated fat; 6 g monounsaturated fat); 140 mg cholesterol; 1086 mg sodium; 26 g carbohydrate; 4.1 g fiber; 40 g protein; 10.5 mg niacin; 0.6 mg vitamin B6; 1.8 mcg vitamin B12; 2.8 mg iron; 17.5 mcg selenium; 6.0 mg zinc; 145.8 mg choline.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of Cattleman's Beef Board.