Veal Vegetable Lasagna
Recipe courtesy of The Beef Checkoff.
1 1/2 pounds ground veal
2 teaspoons olive oil
2 large yellow bell peppers, cut into sixths
1 (10-ounce) package fresh spinach, torn*
1/2 tsp. salt
1 (26 to 28-ounce) jar prepared garlic and mushroom pasta sauce
1 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
10 uncooked lasagna noodles (not oven-ready)
4 cups shredded smoked mozzarella cheese**
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C).
- Heat oil in large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add peppers; cook 3 to 4 minutes or until crisp-tender, stirring occasionally. Remove from skillet; set aside. Add spinach to same skillet; cook and stir 1 minute or until slightly wilted. Drain excess liquid. Remove from skillet; set aside.
- Brown ground veal in same skillet over medium heat 7 to 8 minutes or until veal is no longer pink, breaking up into 1/2-inch crumbles. Pour off drippings. Season with salt. Stir in pasta sauce and tomatoes..
- Spread 2 cups sauce mixture in 13x9x2-inch baking dish. Place 4 noodles lengthwise and 1 noodle crosswise (break noodle to fit) in a single layer; press lightly into sauce. Layer spinach over noodles. Arrange peppers in single layer over spinach. Sprinkle with half of cheese. Spread 2 1/2 cups sauce over cheese. Cover with remaining noodles; press lightly into sauce. Spread remaining sauce over noodles.
- Cover with aluminum foil; bake in 375°F (190°C) oven 1 hour. Remove from oven. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Tent with aluminum foil; let stand 15 minutes before cutting.
Makes 9 servings.
*1 (10-ounce) package frozen leaf spinach, defrosted, drained and squeezed dry, may be substituted for fresh spinach.
**Regular mozzarella cheese may be substituted for smoked mozzarella.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of The Beef Checkoff.