Mom's Beef Pot Pie
A homemade pot pie is one of the tastiest reasons to plan ahead and make sure you have enough leftovers from Sunday's pot roast supper to make one.
2 cups cooked roast beef, cubed (See recipe Mom's Pot Roast with Vegetables and Gravy)
2 cups cooked potatoes, cubed
1 to 2 cups cooked carrots, sliced
2 cups beef gravy (ideally leftover from the pot roast, or ready-made)
1 (10-ounce) can cream of mushroom soup
1 to 2 teaspoons beef soup base* or bouillon granules
1 single pie crust, unbaked (see recipe, Basic Pie Crust 101)
1/2 teaspoon garlic pepper blend or onion powder (optional)
- Preheat oven to 425°F (220°C).
- For Filling: In a large bowl, combine cooked and cubed beef, cubed potatoes and sliced carrots.
- In another bowl, combine beef gravy, mushroom soup and beef base. Taste, adjusting seasoning as needed.
- Gently fold gravy mixture into beef and vegetables and pour into a greased 2 1/2-quart casserole.
- For Crust: Prepare pie crust as directed, except add the garlic pepper or onion powder, if using, to the flour mixture before adding the water. Roll dough out on a lightly floured surface to about 1-inch larger in circumference than the casserole dish. Place on top of beef mixture, roll edges in and crimp. Vent top of crust by making slits with a sharp knife or poking holes with the tines of a fork.
- Bake for 25 minutes at 425°F (220°C); reduce oven temperature to 350°F (175°C) and bake an additional 15 minutes or until crust is golden and filling is hot and bubbly.
- Allow to sit for 5 to 10 minutes before serving.
Makes 8 servings.
*I prefer and use Redi-Base soup bases available at www.redibase.com.
- For a nice look, brush the top of the crust with egg white and sprinkle with sesame seeds before baking.
- The amount of leftover vegetables in a pot pie does not have to be precise, use what you have, but if necessary, simply cook up a couple more carrots and potatoes. You can also add a small can of sliced mushrooms (drained),1/2 cup peas, and/or other cooked vegetables, to the filling.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/8 of recipe): 369.9 calories; 53% calories from fat; 21.6g total fat; 56.4mg cholesterol; 797.8mg sodium; 349.0mg potassium; 25.5g carbohydrates; 2.6g fiber; 1.4g sugar; 22.9g net carbs; 18.0g protein.