Mt. Vernon Rib Roast
The Mt. Vernon rib roast - a presidential salute to roasting.
1 (6 to 10 pound) beef Standing Rib Roast or Rib Eye Roast, fat trimmed to 1/8-inch thick
1/2 cup minced fresh parsley
3 tablespoons freshly grated lemon peel
4 teaspoons dried thyme, crumbled
8 juniper berries, chrushed or 1 tablespoon gin
6 cloves garlic
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
4 to 8 drops Tabasco sauce
1/2 cup olive oil
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- Combine parsley, lemon peel, thyme, juniper berries, pepper and Tabasco in blender. Add oil 1 tablespoon at a time to form a smooth paste. Add lemon juice. Blend.
- Rub mixture over surface of roast. Cover and refrigerate at least 24 hours.
- Place roast, fat side up, in shallow roasting pan. Cook in a preheated 500°F oven for 15 minutes. Reduce temperature to 325°F and roast for 20 minutes per pound.
- Insert meat thermometer in thickest part of roast, not touching bone or fat. Remove roast from oven when thermometer reads 135°F for medium-rare to 150°F for medium.
- Let roast stand 15 to 20 minutes before carving.
Makes 8 to 10 servings.
Tip: This roast pairs perfectly with Hunter's Horseradish Sauce.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of The Beef Checkoff.