St. Pat's Beef Pot Pie
The filling for this hearty beef pot pie uses thin strips of chuck blade or top sirloin steak that are quickly stir-fried. Complete this simple St. Paddy's day meal with a green side salad, frosty cold glasses of Guinness beer for the adults and apple cider or juice for the kids (and those who don't imbibe).
This recipe is an excellent source of protein, niacin, vitamin B6, vitamin B12 and zinc; and a good source of iron.
1 1/2 pounds beef chuck blade steak or top sirloin steak
1 (8-ounce) package cremini mushrooms, sliced
1 1/2 cups frozen crinkle-cut carrots
1 1/2 cups frozen peas
2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme - divided use
1 teaspoon minced garlic - divided use
Salt and ground black pepper to taste
3 tablespoons cornstarch
1 (14 to 14.25-ounce) can ready-to-serve beef broth
1 refrigerated pie crust (1/2 of a 15-ounce package)*
- Preheat oven to 425°F (220°C).
- Cut beef steak lengthwise in half, then crosswise into 1/4-inch thick strips; set aside.
- Spray large nonstick skillet with nonstick cooking spray. Heat over medium-high heat until hot. Add mushrooms; cook and stir 3 minutes. Add carrots, peas, 1 teaspoon thyme and 1/2 teaspoon garlic; cook and stir an additional 3 to 4 minutes or until carrots and peas are defrosted. Remove from skillet; set aside.
- In same skillet, add 1/2 of beef; cook and stir 1 to 2 minutes or until outside surface of beef is no longer pink. Season with salt and pepper, as desired. Remove from skillet with slotted spoon; set aside. Repeat with remaining beef.
- Dissolve cornstarch into beef broth; add to skillet. Bring to a boil; cook and stir about 1 minute or until sauce is slightly thickened and any browned bits on bottom of skillet are dissolved. Return vegetables and beef to pan; stir to combine.
- Place beef mixture in 2-inch deep, 9-inch pie plate or similar sized round baking dish. Unfold pie crust on flat surface, pressing out fold lines with fingers. Place crust over beef mixture allowing edges to drape over pie plate. Sprinkle remaining 1 teaspoon thyme and 1/2 teaspoon garlic evenly onto top of crust. Place pie plate on a 15x10x1-inch jelly-roll pan.
- Bake in 425°F (220°C) oven 16 to 18 minutes or until crust is golden. Remove from oven to wire rack; let cool 5 to 10 minutes before serving.
Makes 6 servings.
*Or use your favorite pastry recipe, or ours: Basic Pie Crust 101.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/6 of recipe using beef chuck blade steak): 402 calories; 27 g protein; 31 g carbohydrate; 18 g fat; 490 mg sodium; 58 mg cholesterol; 5.8 mg niacin; 0.5 mg vitamin B6; 3.0 mcg vitamin B12; 3.5 mg iron; 8.2 mg zinc.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/6 of recipe using beef top sirloin steak): 395 calories; 31 g protein; 31 g carbohydrate; 16 g fat; 488 mg sodium; 82 mg cholesterol; 6.2 mg niacin; 0.5 mg vitamin B6; 2.4 mcg vitamin B12; 4.0 mg iron; 6.2 mg zinc.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of The Beef Checkoff.