Blueberry Lemon Pound Cake
For a real treat, top a slice of this delicious pound cake with a generous scoop of Blueberry Sorbet.
1 cup unsalted butter, softened
1 cup granulated sugar
4 large eggs, separated
1 tablespoon finely grated lemon zest
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3/4 cup sour cream
1 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 3/4 cups blueberries, lightly rinsed and dried
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C). Grease a 9 x 5 x 2 3/4-inch loaf pan. Line the bottom with a piece of parchment or waxed paper and grease the paper. Lightly dust the pan with flour, shaking out the excess.
- In a mixing bowl, cream 1 cup of butter and the sugar with an electric mixer until light and fluffy. Add the egg yolks, lemon zest and vanilla extract; beat until smooth. Add the sour cream and beat to combine.
- Sift the flour, baking powder and salt together, add to the butter mixture in three batches, stirring with a wooden spoon until just combined.
- Beat the egg whites in a bowl until they hold soft peaks. Stir a third of the whites in to the batter to combine. Fold the remaining whites into the batter with a rubber spatula until just combined. Do not over mix.
- Fold the blueberries into the batter. Scrape into the prepared pan. Bake for 35 minutes. Reduce the oven temperature to 325°F (160°C) and bake 45 minutes longer or until pound cake is golden brown and a wooden pick comes out clean when inserted in the center. Let the loaf rest in the pan on a rack for an hour before turning it out of the pan. Then place it back on the rack and allow it to cool completely.
Makes 1 loaf cake; 9 servings.