One-Bowl Basic Yellow Cake
Forget about all the sifting flour, creaming and alternately adding the liquid ingredients with the dry ingredients when making a cake! Simply toss all the cake ingredients in the bowl at the same time, beat for just 2 minutes, and the cake batter is ready to spread in the pan to bake. It's really just that easy to make a terrific, homemade cake that didn't come from a box.
A Family-Favorites Recipe.
2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour*
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
3 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon kosher or sea salt
1 1/4 cups milk
1/2 cup vegetable shortening
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3 large eggs
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C)**. Grease and lightly flour*** a 13 x 9 x 2-inch baking pan, or 2 (9 x 1 1/2-inch) round pans, or 3 (8 x 1 1/2-inch) round pans, or line 36 muffin cups with paper baking cups. Set aside.
- Place all ingredients in a large mixing bowl and beat on low speed just until ingredients are wet, increase speed to medium-high and continue beating for 2 minutes. Pour batter into prepared pan(s).
- Bake a 13 x 9 x 2-inch cake for 35 to 40 minutes, or until tested done****.
- Bake the 9-inch round cakes for 25 to 30 minutes, or until tested done.
- Bake the 8-inch round cakes for 20 to 25 minutes, or until tested done.
- Bake cupcakes for 20 minutes, or until tested done.
- Cool cake or cupcakes on a wire rack. (Cool the 9 or 8-inch cakes on wire racks for 10 minutes, then remove from pans and cool completely on wire racks.)
- When cake is completely cool, frost as desired. (Cake in photograph is frosted with Cocoa Buttercream Frosting.)
Makes 12 servings of cake or 36 cupcakes.
*For a lighter-textured cake, use cake flour or 2 cups plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour.
**If using a dark baking pan(s) or glass baking dish, reduce oven temperature to 325°F (160°C).
***If serving the cake directly from the 13 x 9 x 2-inch baking pan, there is no need to dust with flour. Flouring a greased baking pan simply makes removal of the baked cake from the pan easier.
****To Test Cake: A cake (or cupcakes) is done when a wooden pick inserted near center of cake comes out clean, or cake springs back when touched lightly in the center.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/12 of recipe): 294.3 calories; 33% calories from fat; 10.8g total fat; 60.2mg cholesterol; 327.1mg sodium; 79.5mg potassium; 44.5g carbohydrates; 0.6g fiber; 26.5g sugar; 43.9g net carbs; 4.8g protein.