A delectable sweet and savory carrot and cheddar pudding served with an orange sauce.
2 pounds carrots, sliced, cooked until tender
1/4 cup melted margarine
1 large egg yolk
3 1/2 teaspoons Equal® for Recipes or 12 packets Equal® sweetener or 1/2 cup Equal® Spoonful™
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup raisins
1/4 cup chopped blanched almonds (optional)
1/3 cup shredded low-fat cheddar cheese
5 large egg whites, beaten to stiff peaks
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
2 1/2 teaspoons Equal® for Recipes or 8 packets Equal sweetener or 1/3 cup Equal® Spoonful™
1 tablespoon cold margarine, cut into pieces
2 tablespoons sliced almonds
Orange Sauce (optional)
- Process carrots in food processor or blender until smooth; cool to room temperature.
- Mix carrots, melted margarine, egg yolk, and 3 1/2 teaspoons Equal® for Recipes in large bowl; mix in 1/3 cup flour, baking powder and salt.
- Mix in raisins, chopped almonds and cheese. Stir about 1/3 the egg whites into carrot mixture; fold carrot mixture into remaining egg whites.
- Spread carrot mixture evenly in greased 8x8x2-inch square baking pan.
- Mix 3 tablespoons flour and 2 1/2 teaspoons Equal® for Recipes in small bowl; cut in margarine until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Sprinkle over carrot mixture; sprinkle with sliced almonds.
- Bake pudding at 350°F (175°C) until browned and set, about 50 minutes. Cut into squares. Serve warm with Orange Sauce, if desired.
Makes 9 servings.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/9 of recipe): 195 cal., 6 g pro., 26 g carbo., 8 g fat, 25 mg chol., 402 mg sodium.
Food Exchanges: 2 Vegetable, 1 Bread, 1 1/2 Fat.
Recipe provided courtesy of Merisant Corporation ® and the NutraSweet Company, makers of Equal®.