Originally called "Mock Tacos",
this dish is a complete meal in itself -- plus it's great recipe
for a fun and easy buffet dinner...'cause it's like a "big
party" on a plate! A delicious, mildly spicy Tex-Mex-style
sauce is ladled over a bed of corn chips and topped with your
choice of cheese, lettuce, tomatoes, black olives, fresh cilantro
and more. Let your guests can build their own Fiesta Grande!
Another delicious recipe from our Family-Favorite
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon oregano leaves
- 1 (6-ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 (8-ounce) can tomato sauce
- 2 1/4 cups water
- 1/2 cup cooked rice*
- 1 1/2 teaspoons brown sugar, packed
- 1 teaspoon kosher or sea salt
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- Original size Fritos® brand corn chips
- Suggested Toppings:
- Cheddar and/or Monterey Jack cheese, shredded
- Iceberg lettuce, shredded
- Tomatoes, chopped
- Red or white onion, chopped
- Black olives, whole, sliced or chopped
- Avocado, diced or sliced
- Sour cream
- Salsa (Pico
- Fresh Cilantro, chopped
- Lime Wedges (squeeze 'em over the toppings)
- For the sauce: In a Dutch oven or large
saucepan, over medium-high heat, cook ground beef, onion and
garlic until meat is no longer pink; drain excess fat.
Add the chili powder, cumin and oregano and
cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly, over medium-high heat.
- Add remaining ingredients and bring to
boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer
for 1 hour, stirring occasionally.
- To serve, ladle sauce over a bed of corn
chips and top with suggested toppings
Serves 6. (Recipe can be doubled.)
*The cooked rice is part of the original
recipe, it's use helps to thicken the sauce.
**Do not use tortilla chips, they're just
not half as good used with this dish.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/6
of recipe; meat sauce only, does not include chips or toppings):
272.1 calories; 54% calories from fat; 16.2g total fat; 56.7mg
cholesterol; 874.6mg sodium; 683.2mg potassium; 16.3g carbohydrates;
2.7g fiber; 7.1g sugar; 13.6g net carbs; 15.9g protein.
Copyright Hope Pryor, please see Terms
of Use. Photograph by Hope Pryor; property of CooksRecipes.com.